Dear CCCPSAA Member,
Here is a brief overview of upcoming 2014 Chapter events:
1. CCCPSAA 4th Annual April Fool’s 5K – Thank you to all the brave souls that came out on the chilly Saturday morning, March 29 to volunteer, walk, run and just have some fun to make our 4th Annual April Fool’s 5K a great success. Congratulations to all of our race winners. Our Chapter’s Scholarship fund was the big winner! Check out the race results at: http://www.nvrun.com/index.php/racing/results . And thank-you to all of our outstanding sponsors. A list of sponsors will be posted in the next few weeks on both our Facebook page www.facebook.com/psucentre and on our Chapter web page www.psucentre.org.
2. FUNDRAISER FOR MINI-THON – A BIG SUCCESS! Thanks to a super fun group from the Capital Chapter, a dedicated number of CCCPSAA members and incredibly generous donors, not to mention great food from Local Whiskey, our 2014 mini THON fundraiser was a huge success. We are very excited to announce that the Chapter was able to donate $600.00 to the State College mini THON, a 50% increase over last year.
3. ADOPT-A-HIGHWAY CLEAN-UP - The Vernal Equinox tells us it is officially Spring so with it comes the Adopt-A-Highway cleanup program. We will meet on Tuesday, April 8th at either 9:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m. (to accommodate different work schedules and retirement activities) in the lower right parking area at the Assembly of God Church. Highway reconstruction is complete. Spring is our largest collection of the year so more hands will be needed. Yes, you may choose one or both times. We meet at The Assembly of God Church, 2201 University Drive Extension in the lower right parking area. First timers and guest are very welcome. Gloves, safety vest, trash bags, water and a snack are provided. Please email Al at firstname.lastname@example.org to join the fun (include: name, phone and time) or call 814-237-1147 (day or night). The Trash Man cometh.
4. CHAPTER HAPPY HOUR – Note the Date Change – We will have our next Happy Hour at The Gingerbread Man, 130 Heister St, State College, PA on Friday, April 25, 2014 from 5:30p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Join your fellow Chapter members for a fun evening and make sure you mark your calendar for May’s Happy Hour, Friday, May 16, 2014 ‘On the patio at the TAVERN’.
5. TOUR – The CCCPSAA will have a tour at the Centre Furnace Mansion on Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 1:00 p. m. Come join fellow chapter members on a guided tour of the Centre Furnace Mansion, gardens and iron furnace site associated with the Centre Furnace, established in 1791. Here in 1855, owners James Irvin and Moses Thompson gifted 200 acres of Centre Furnace land to establish ‘Farmers High School’ – today known as The Penn State University. Now the HQ of the Centre County Historical Society and listed on the National Register, the mansion is interpreted for the period of 1842-1891. Space on the tour is limited. RSVP to Ilene White email@example.com or call the Hintz Alumni Center at 865-6516 and ask for Ilene.
6. GARDEN STEWARD NEEDED - Did you know that the CCCPSAA in conjunction with the Western Pa. Conservancy (WPC) plants a flower garden at the intersection of University Drive and East College Ave? In 2012 our garden won an award from the PA Horticultural Society as one of the best presentations of community greenery. Presently, the WPC is looking for a Garden Steward. The steward is the individual or group who works at the planting and fall pull-up, works with WPC to arrange delivery of plants and coordinates the seasonal maintenance. As your Chapter board representative, I seek volunteers to plant and pull-up the garden and work with the steward to set dates. The Garden Steward, either on their own or by seeking volunteers, works to keep the garden weeded and watered during the summer. To my knowledge the steward does not need to be a member of CCCPSAA. If you, your neighbor or a friend would like to volunteer as the Garden Steward or to seek other volunteers for summer maintenance, please contact Al Landis as soon as possible firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 814-237-1147. The previous steward has indicated that he would assist to occasionally weed the garden.
7. SAVE THESE DATES
· Spring Highway Clean-up – Tuesday, April 8th—see article for details
· 2014 Annual Waynick Lecture— Speaker, Thomas A. Seliga, Consulting Electrical/Electronics Engineer and Atmospheric Scientist
Date: Friday, April 18, 2014
Time: 8:00 p.m.
Location: AB Ballroom, The Nittany Lion Inn, University Park, PA
Free and open to the public.
· CHAPTER HAPPY HOUR—Note Change of Date
Location: The Gingerbread Man , 130 Heister St, State College, PA
Date: Friday, April 25, 2014
Time: 5:30p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
· Penn State’s 12th Annual Equine Science Showcase and Quarter Horse Sale
Date: Saturday, May 3, 2014
Location : Snider Ag Arena
Time: 8:30 a.m.
· Chapter Tour of the Centre Furnace Mansion Site
Date: Tuesday, May 13, 2014
Location: Centre Furnace Mansion
Time: 1:00 p.m.
Please reserve your space ahead of time
· May’s Happy Hour Friday, May 16, 2014 ‘On the patio at the TAVERN’
· ANNUAL CCCPSAA MEETING & SPIKES GAME
Date: Sunday, June 29, 2014. Watch for details coming in May
REMINDER: Our membership year runs July 1 -June 30. Renewals should have been paid by July 1, 2013. Thank you for your continuing support to our Centre County Chapter. Dues remain the same as in the past $20/year single and $25/year couple. For more information go to http://www.psucentre.org/membership.html. Want to check if your membership is paid up-to-date, contact Linda Rohrer at RohrerLinda@gmail.com with the subject line as “CCCPSAA Membership Status”. Please include your full name and address in the body of the email and Linda will be happy to check for you or phone her at (814) 238-8095. Future electronic newsletters and mailings will only be sent to current Chapter members.
8. BOOKMARK THE CENTRE COUNTY CHAPTER WEBSITE – For the most up-to-date and detailed chapter information, check out our website at: www.psucentre.org mark it for easy access.
9. ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK? Become a fan of the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association by LIKING us on Facebook? You will find chapter updates, events, and more. Just go to http://www.facebook.com/psucentre.org.