Dear CCCPSAA Member,
Here is a brief overview of upcoming Chapter events:
1. THE CENTRE COUNTY CHAPTER EMERGENCY GRANT FUNDS AT WORK – To the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association, It is difficult to put into words just how thankful I am for your generosity for awarding me with the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association Emergency Grant. The feeling of relief truly is indescribable; because of this grant, I now have few worries about my financial ability to afford to commute for the semester of student teaching this fall. Everything I lost was intended be used to help afford the cost of my 40-minute daily commute to my teaching placement. Theft truly is a terrible thing that impacts far too many people, but at least in this instance, the act of an incredibly generous and caring community negated the long-term damages of someone’s unfortunate decision. A close friend of mine said it best to me: “the spirit of “we are” is alive and well in Happy Valley.”
As I move forward and start my student teaching experience this August with the Stroudsburg Area High School Marching Band, and when I eventually receive my Bachelor of Music Education degree, I will be sure to remain thankful for this grant. Without it, I’m not sure how I would be able to afford to complete my degree. Beyond my experiences this fall, I will continue to dream of being prosperous enough in my future career to give back to Penn State. The people who believe in Penn State and selflessly give whatever they can to ensure its success foster the greatness of this university. I hope to be able to join the ranks of those people someday and “pay it forward”.
Thank you for all that you do to support Penn State students
This letter provides a great example how our Chapter’s Emergency Grant Fund can help a student in need whether it be a funding shortfall, or the result of theft to complete their college goals. Consider a tax-deductible pledge to the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association Emergency Grant Fund for your 2013 Taxes.
2. NOVEMBER HAPPY HOUR/WINE TASTING – Will be at the Happy Valley Vineyard & Winery (576 S. Foxpointe Dr., State College, PA) on Friday, November 15, 2013 from 4:30pm to 6:00pm. Directions: From State College, take West College Ave. (Highway 26). Turn right on Science Park Road. Turn left onto Pine Hall Road, and proceed to the first stop sign. Turn left onto Foxpointe Drive (takes you through the subdivision). Foxpointe Drive extension ends at the entrance to the vineyard with the gravel Winery Lane to the right.
PLEASE NOTE: We will be collecting non-perishable items (canned goods, instant potatoes, stuffing, etc.) to help the Food Bank of the State College Area collect food for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Help fellow families of the area by bringing canned goods and non-perishable items to the Happy Hour.
Wine will be available for tasting and purchase. Enjoy some good conversation, with good friends, and some great wine!
3. STATE COLLEGE ENTRANCE GARDEN RECEIVES AWARD FROM PHS – The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society has recognized the State College Entrance Garden with the 2012 Community Greening Award. This award recognizes individuals, community groups, garden clubs, businesses, municipalities, etc. that have been inspired to improve their community by greening public spaces. Congratulations to Al Landis and his garden crew for their spring planting and fall clean-up of this lovely area which greets the many visitors to the State College area. For many years, Al has taken upon the garden planting, as well as the highway clean up as part of the chapter’s community service. His efforts on both of these projects are greatly appreciated. All members are invited to join in the fun for next spring’s planting and clean up.
4. Season’s GreetingsMARK YOUR CALENDARS NOW FOR OUR HOLIDAY HAPPY HOUR – Our December Happy Hour will be around the cozy fireplace at The Tavern. The date will be Friday, Dec. 13th from 5:00 p.m. till 7:00 p.m. Take some time during the busy holiday season to relax with your fellow Chapter members and enjoy good times and fellowship.
5. REMEMBER - It’s never too early to plan ahead for Spend a Summer Day! Linda Rohrer has just announced the dates for 2014 Spend a Summer Day. Please mark your calendars for Friday, July 25; Monday, July 28; Thursday, July 31; Friday,
August 1; and Monday, August 4, 2014. More details will be announced next summer.
6. SAVE THESE DATES
· NOVEMBER CHAPTER HAPPY HOUR/WINE TASTING at the HAPPY VALLEY WINERY
New Date: Friday, Nov. 15 2013
Time: 4:30 –6:00 pm
See inside article for directions and details
Wine will be available for tasting and purchase.
DON’T’ FOR GET TO BRING A CANNED GOOD OR NON-PERISHABLE ITEM TO HELP OUR FOOD DRIVE.
· DECEMBER CHAPTER HAPPY HOUR AROUND THE FIREPLACE AT THE TAVERN
Date: Friday, December 13th
TIME: 5:00—7:00 p.m.
***October 2013 REMINDER***Membership Renewals are Overdue*** – The Centre County Chapter membership year dues run from July 1 through June 30 each year. So, it is now past time to renew your membership for the 2013-14 year. Dues remain the same as in the past $20/year single and $25/year couple. For more information go to http://www.psucentre.org/membership.html. Want to check if your membership is paid up-to-date, contact Linda Rohrer at RohrerLinda@gmail.com with the subject line as “CCCPSAA Membership Status”. Please include your full name and address in the body of the email and Linda will be happy to check for you or phone her at(814) 238-8095. Future electronic newsletters and mailings will only be sent to current Chapter members.
*Please consider a tax deductible gift to the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association Endowed Scholarship or our Emergency Grant Fund for information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7. BOOKMARK THE CENTRE COUNTY CHAPTER WEBSITE – For the most up-to-date and detailed chapter information, check out our website at: www.psucentre.orgmark it for easy access.
8. ARE YOU ON FACEBOOK? Become a fan of the Centre County Chapter of the Penn State Alumni Association by LIKING us on Facebook? You will find chapter updates, events, and more. Just go tohttp://www.facebook.com/psucentre.